Monday, August 10, 2009

Video Games Are NOT Bad

So my friend decided not to subscribe to wow :( Said something about how he's worried he'll get addicted. Which to me doesn't make much sense since he wasn't even on it that often but even if he had been I don't see the problem. I'll never understand this attitude that 99% of people seem to have about video games being bad for you. I mean really...how in the world is it any different then someone that goes out every night with friends? Its a hobby just as anything else. Even my one friend that plays thinks its bad for you. He's on it alot too when he does play, but doesn't seem to have much trouble taking a break from it if real life stuff is going on, he even stopped playing for a few months 1 time due to RL stuff. So people can say its addictive or some other crap but truth is, if whatever you were gonna do you decided not to do because of WOW then it must not have been very fun, or maybe it was fun, just not as fun as wow, so why not play wow lol. People shouldn't not do something just because they're worried it will prevent them from doing other things...I mean really it most likely won't prevent them, and if it does thats a sign that maybe their other activities just aren't as fun as they'd thought. Now if someone has a job or something that they're skipping wow for, that might be a different story, however if they're skipping work for video games there would more then likely be something else they would skip work for if video games didn't exist.

They also mentioned something about it being easier to just play wow then do the other things because of their SA. To that I think well easier is funnier too. But thats another thing I just don't get about people with SA, why try to overcome it, its not like there are very much decent people out there, and if you happen to meet someone that is decent I'm sure they will understand and not pressure you to go out and do things you aren't comfortable with. My dream best friend would be like that, they wouldn't necessarily have SA but they would be a huge misanthropist with very little desire to be around people, other then me. I guess it could be seen another way though, being that since people suck, why should we feel any anxiety around them. I don't really have that much SA around people I don't know unless I think they might be someone I'd like to be friends with or I'm scared of them for some reason. I get it really bad if I'm with someone I know though in a group where I don't know or dislike the others. Mostly because I'm worried this person I like will do something mean to me or something likewise hurtful with the others. Probably because thats what happened to me many times in the past :(

Anyway back to the subject, I'm on wow almost 24/7, but I'd stop right now if something funner came along. But most things just aren't fun. Partying/bar hopping/clubbing/etc? boring! plus being around people=ugh Sports? boring! Outdoorsy activities? boring!

The things I find fun and will and do stop or afk in wow for are:

- Good conversation on msn, or someone I know can carry a convo on the phone (I have known very very few people like this though, maybe 1% of people I have come across in my life have been good at conversation).

- A challenging board game opponent, preferably for scrabble though I like most board games, I suck at chess though

- Opportunity to investigate something paranormal, say a UFO, or better yet the chance to play on a Ouija board with someone (but not in my house!)

- A really interesting tv show (like Lost)

- Music videos of bands I like

- Adorable baby kittens playing <3 Ok so I wouldn't log out of wow to watch this, but I'd definitely pay more attention to the kitties.

Wow won't and doesn't prevent me from doing any of those, however I mostly have a lack of being to find anyone cool enough for most of the above which usually prevents me from spending much time away from wow. I don't spend all my time on the net in wow though, I also read/post on some forums, read fanficion, etc. But I certainly wouldn't give up wow for anything since wow is just as fun as any of them, sometimes more, sometimes less, depending on my mood. Would actually like to do most of the above things more, but I'm not gonna go out ghost hunting alone and have no one to play board games with, etc. :(

Now as for the people who think its bad not so much as because they claim its addictive but more because its an online game well to that I say wtf. Isn't the object of a hobby to umm you know, have fun? If wow is fun, how in the world is it a bad hobby yet their mindless drinking, partying and whatever else is supposed to be good?? Its not just the social morons who think video games are bad either, people also think outdoorsy stuff, reading, sports watching, dancing, etc are good hobbies but somehow they see video games as this horrible horrible thing. I bet a good chunk of them have never even played a video game past the age of 12 so what the hell would they know anyway.

Speaking of wow...people that can wear plate or mail need to stay the fuck away from leather and cloth gear if theres a leather or cloth wearer in the party. Can't believe this greedy shaman earlier trying to roll need on cloth gear. So I hit need too, I won it and traded it to the mage who thanked me and said they're gonna send me 100 gold for it. Wonder if they really will lol. And this was a guild run too. People are such selfish pricks. Well, I'll be sure not to run with them again, since I asked them and their excuse was "It was a huge upgrade for me". They can wear mail and mages can't, so to be fair they should've passed. Not gonna chance them stealing my leather gear if it drops, theres alot there I need.

No comments:

Post a Comment